Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Legacy

It's been six months now since I've been to the Farm but work continues without us.
We finally had our you-beaut ecologically-responsible greywater recycling system installed.
Of course, to do it, the plumbers had to pull down three out of four fences, bulldoze through my garden, rip up all the lawn and dig a moat around the entire hourse.

My in-laws have been visiting the property regularly, however, to fend off anyone sad enough to rob a fenceless, moated, floorless, waterless dreamhouse.
And, to my delight, they discovered that when the Plumber tore through my garden and destroyed the lawn he managed to spread my herb and lettuce seeds throughout the backyard.
So, where once was sad, dry Cooch Grass there's now a forest of lettuces and basil in four colours and five shapes.

Now, I just have to find out if all my carrots, beets, radishes and turnips thrived underneath the deserted garden block.

We know we can't expect a crop of potatoes this year as The Man left them in the kitchen cupboard last time he visited.
After he opened the pantry cupboard and discovered them collapsing into slop inside the paperbag he surprisingly and quite suddenly agreed to let a professional rip out the kitchen and rebuild it - rather than "knock it up" himself...so I'll chalk that up as a win anyway, potatoes or no potatoes.

No comments: