Friday, November 22, 2013

Burgeoning Potential

I've been sidetracked from my garden by inconveniences such as the Black Plague, teen meltdowns and toddler surgery. So, I took a long-cut home past the Shouse the other day to check on my tomatoes. As a result I've been buying tomato cages & pouring on the old Charlie Carp to give my sudden green crop of tomatoes the added boost they need. I laugh at myself, overplanting out of pessimism and now it seems I'm going to need a really great relish recipe because I counted around 60 tomatoes on the first four plants and there's still several dozen to grow (let's call it succession planning, not panic, & pretend I meant it). The peas are done - they were measly but fun anyway, next year I'll plant quadruple the amount much earlier. The sweet potatoes are creeping across the warm ground, just in time for my local Mitre10 and the Yates Garden Guide to all decide to stock information and seedlings. (Bastards, where were they three months ago when I put in my own slips?) The herbs and chard are monstrous but I haven't hacked them back as I keep telling myself I'll get more worms. The sunflowers are up, the corn silks are peeking out, the bean seedlings are rampant and the strawberries still don't get a chance to turn more than pink before they're eaten by my boys. It amazes me that the hot weather has done more for my veg than all my coddling...that and getting mains water & a sprinkler. ...ok, now I need to find that relish recipe.

1 comment:

Outbackscorpio said...

My peas were shocking this year as well and they're usually brilliant. Spring onions and beetroot boomed over spring and winter. As for the relish recipe, Harry has a good one from memory... in fact it was a very good one.