Saturday, March 18, 2006

Melodians - Musical Spit Catchers

I was watching a man on TV playing the melodian the other night, behind a 90s-style folk song.

We had melodians in fourth grade (hello Mrs Jobson, I still remember you if you're out there) - a little keyboard with a squishy pipe tube which you blew into like a bagpipe to power the keys.
I guess it was an attempt to save on batteries and still teach 24 little pre-teens a keyboard.
But tell me, of all the instruments int the world, why would you give primary school students something that is intrinsically designed to collect spit and then shared around to other kids...FOR GENERATIONS.
I bet you they still have those bastard things at Mullumbimby Primary School.

These days, if the asthmatics didn't get them banned then they'd be thrown out as a Hep C risk.
Oh, how the world has changed.

No comments: